10 Things I Would Tell My 16 Year Old Self… I wish someone had sat me down and told me the things I know now. Actually, no, I’m glad I learned lessons and everything happens for a reason but in the moment some of those lessons didn’t feel worth it. I was in an unhealthy relationship that lasted for 5 years, but I learned a lot about myself and the type of person I do and do not see myself being with for the long run. I was not outgoing and carefree like I am now. Anyone who is in my life now, knows if there is a dance floor anywhere around I will be the first one on it and I won’t care what anyone thinks of my dancing. In high school, I was cast in the school play and then decided I was too scared to even stand in front of people so I was cast in a smaller role. I regret that now and wish I had owned it on the stage for everyone to see, but its part of growing up I guess.
If I could sit down with my 16 year old self these are the things I would say:
- Be who you want to be, not a carbon copy of the “cool girls”
- The boy you love will hurt you in the end, don’t plan a future with someone who doesn’t plan to include you in theirs
- Be proud of yourself for not caving to peer pressure, it’s hard to say no.
- Speak up and let your voice be heard. Do not be afraid of judgement
- The boy who told you he wants to be with you, the one you have considered your best friend since the age of 8, take a chance on him. It’ll be your biggest regret if you don’t
- Listen to your Mom more, she knows what she’s talking about
- Don’t be scared to get on stage in the play, get up there and OWN it.
- Study more
- Spend more time with your grandmother, she will be gone before you know it.
- When choosing between family and friends, always choose family. They will be with you forever, the kids at school will not
16 year old me